Saturday, February 5, 2011

Did I force you to return materials late with fees over $50.00???

A teenage boy (or perhaps he is 19 or something but still..) approached me when I was still on the phone helping a patron..  Here is what happened....

I: (on the phone) Ok, what was the title again?  (typing) ok.. ok... OK, Would you hold on a second?
Teen: Excuse me Excuse Me (this was happening while I was talking on the phone!  So some of you already know me, that is my BIGGEST Petpeeves!!! Obviously, he will have to wait a LLLLLOOOOONNNNGGGG before I turn my attention!!)
I:  (got the book and finished help the lady on the phone.  Meanwhile he disappeared!)
.
.
.
.
(after a while, he reappeared)
He: Well, the library keeps bothering my house I owe money.  I want to pay it with DVDs.
I: Excuse me?  What do you mean you want to pay it with DVDs? (of course I knew what he was trying to do!)
He: Ok.  I owe money and I want to bring new DVDs for fines.
I: Sorry but it doesn't work that way.  If you own fines for late returning, you need to pay fines.  You can't substitute.
He: Who do I need to talk to?
I: I am the one you need to talk to.
He: Who do I need to talk to bigger than you?
I: (Now you are pushing my button) When it comes to fines that owed to this branch, I am the only one you need to talk to.
He: What about to other library?
I: Since the materials belong to this branch, I am the one who makes the decision.
He: But I want to bring new DVDs instead of paying fines!
I: It doesn't work that way.  If you owe fines, you pay the fines. (You bloody idiot!!  With that attitude, even though it is under my discretion to do so, but in your case, I am doing it by the BOOK!!)
He: (he just stopmed away from the Ref desk cursing in Spanish!!  Yes, I've around long enough to know what they say!!!)

Note to others: If you want me to do something nice to you, such as work with you on fines, have nicer attitude and make me feel I have the ultimate power to do so and be thankful that I am doing it for you!!  If you demand? Guess what?  You will pay every single penny that's on your card!!!!  And another  note, that's the most important fact!!  No one, I repeat NO ONE forced you to keep items longer than due dates!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment